[SciPy-user] ATLAS and gcc v4.0.2

Cournapeau David cournape at atr.jp
Tue Feb 28 03:55:36 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 09:34 +0100, Nils Wagner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Where can I find some hints w.r.t. to ATLAS and
> scipy/numpy ?
> AFAIK the new website has no information on building
> ATLAS.
>
> Do I need version 3 of gcc ?
>
> I am on SuSE Linux 10.0 with gcc v4.0.2
>
> If I try to install ATLAS I get ..
>
> Looking for compilers (this may take a while):
>     /usr/bin/gcc  : v4.0.2
>     /usr/bin/gcc  : v4.0.2
> F77 = /usr/bin/g77 -fomit-frame-pointer -O -m64
> CC = /usr/bin/gcc -fomit-frame-pointer -O -mfpmath=387
> -m64
> MCC = /usr/bin/gcc -fomit-frame-pointer -O -mfpmath=387
> -m64
On a different distribution (ubuntu), I install ATLAS package, and
modifiy the static library to build a full LAPACK library (it should be
somewhere on the wiki, I can give more details if you need help).

If SUSE does not have atlas package, then try to find if a gcc-2.95
package is available. If neither of them are available, I would advise
you to just build ATLAS with your current version of gcc.

>From my POV, the best solution is to use a pre-compiled ATLAS from your
distribution: then, it should have been tested, and you are less likely
to make a error which can appear later in a very subtle way. Compiling
and installing gcc yourself is a PITA if you have never done it yourself
before (it is easy to break many things). Even building atlas yourself
is a bit long, and I think it is easy to mess things up, at least from a
performance point of view.

David