[SciPy-user] Do I need to get and install LAPACK if I have ATLAS?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:28:27 EST 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     skip> Are the SciPy directions out-of-date or is the ATLAS version of
>     skip> LAPACK incomplete?
>
>     skip> Never mind.  I found the bit in the ATLAS doc about merging ATLAS
>     skip> and LAPACK.
>
> Of course, for the first time in my entire computing lifetime I get a core
> dump when I try to merge the ATLAS .o files into the LAPACK .a file.  What a
> pisser this is turning out to be.

I'm impressed. I would think ar(1) should be fairly stable on any platform.

Do you need an optimized BLAS/LAPACK, or will the reference implementations do?
If the latter, then you can do the following:

$ mkdir -p ~/src/blas
$ cd ~/src/blas
$ wget http://www.netlib.org/blas/blas.tgz
$ tar zxf blas.tgz
$ cd ~/src
$ wget http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lapack.tgz
$ tar zxf lapack.tgz
$ export BLAS_SRC=~/src
$ export LAPACK_SRC=~/src

Remove from your site.cfg any reference to ATLAS. Also, if you defined the
environment variable $ATLAS or one of the related ones, clear them. Then you
should be able to build scipy, and the build system will take care of compiling
all of the FORTRAN files from BLAS and LAPACK for you.

I'm sorry this is turning out to be such a bear for you.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter