[SciPy-user] Installation on cygwin

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Feb 16 09:26:09 EST 2006

Jose Luis Gomez Dans wrote:

>Hi!
>I am trying to install Scipy (latest tarball from scipy.org) on cygwin
>(updated to today). As I understand it, I need to first install Numpy, and
>then Scipy. I can't install numpy (the ufuncs directory has a myriad of
>undefined symbols), and I see on the mailing list that a few other people
>hit the same problem.

Yes, you need to to install NumPy first.  SciPy also needs a functional
LAPACK and BLAS installed (or use ATLAS).

I have not heard of any successful CYGWIN installation.  But that
doesn't mean it's not possible --- nobody has yet contributed the
details necessary to get it to work.  I think we just need to get a
couple of auto-configuration things fixed.

1) What are the errors you are getting?

2) There is going to be some need to define the appropriate functions in
ufuncobject.h to handle the IEEE error-setting correctly.

-Travis