[SciPy-user] savespace equivalent in numpy?

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Fri Feb 10 15:27:03 EST 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 12:07 PM, iCy-fLaME wrote:

> I am in the process of moving my Numeric based code to the new numpy,
> i came across several places where i deliberately tried to restrict
> the auto up casting function.
>
> While it may not be the end of the world to live without the
> "savespace" option, i am wondering if there is an equivalent option
> with numpy, so i can have a smoother transition to numpy.

I'm a little puzzled as to why you still feel it is necessary to have
this feature. Savespace was mainly intended to prevent scalars from
upcasting the type of the array. But they don't anymore. Given that,
you can simply downcast any arrays to the type you need explicitly in
expressions to avoid any unnecessary upcasts.

Perry Greenfield