[SciPy-user] moving average, moving standard deviation, etc...

Denis Simakov akinoame1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 07:32:50 EST 2006

For operations which may be reduced to sums (this includes average and
std), you can use cumulative sum:
>>> A = arange(10.0)
>>> w = 2  # window length
>>> C = zeros_like(A)

>>> B = A.cumsum()
>>> C[w:] = (B[w:] - B[:-w]) / w  # running average
>>> C[:w] = B[:w] / arange(1,w+1)  # just average for first elements

>>> print vstack((A, C))
[[ 0.   1.   2.   3.   4.   5.   6.   7.   8.   9. ]
 [ 0.   0.5  1.5  2.5  3.5  4.5  5.5  6.5  7.5  8.5]]

Denis