[SciPy-user] moving average, moving standard deviation, etc...

Frank Palazzolo palazzol at comcast.net
Sun Dec 24 07:46:08 EST 2006

Hi,

The technique I've seen involves keeping some intermediate variables,
and subtracting off the oldest value while adding on the newest.  At
each timestep then, you just update the variables and recalculate the
result.

xsum += (x[i] - x[i-window_size])
x2sum += (x[i]*x[i] - x[i-window_size]*x[i-window_size])
average = xsum/window_size
stdev_squared = (x2sum - xsum*xsum)/window_size
stdev = sqrt(stdev_squared)

If you want the "sample" stdev, you can compute it directly, or use:

stdev_sample_squared = window_size*stdev_squared/(window_size-1)
stdev_sample = sqrt(stdev_squared)

Don't get me started on this though... IMHO it's usually a waste of time.

-Frank