[SciPy-user] Use of Scipy in a students final year mechanical engineering project.

Armando Serrano Lombillo arserlom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 06:56:52 EDT 2006

On 8/7/06, Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly2 at ucdconnect.ie> wrote:
> Something that I think might be plausible might be a simulation or
> computational analysis of some kind, but I would probably need to justify
> using python for whatever I do rather than MatLab, which is the industry
> standard, and the program that my lecturers are already familiar with. I
> have never used MatLab myself, so I'm not sure what it offers.

I don't think you "need to justify using Python for whatever you do rather
than MatLab", specially since you are doing this in the scope of a
university project.

I have used Python to solve some problems for my university courses and have
had no problems at all (Civil engineering in UPV <http://www.upv.es>). Just
write an introductory paragraph with a general description of the language
(see for example www.python.org) and of the packages you will be using so
that the lecturers know what you are using.

And if you do need to justify it's usage: it's more versatile than MatLab
plus it's allway better to know Python and MatLab than just knowing MatLab.
And it's free.

Armando Serrano