[SciPy-user] array vs matrix, converting code from matlab

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Apr 21 02:54:49 EDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> One thing...  I'm not sure why you think porting Netlab to SciPy would
> be such a huge task.  It's a big task, sure.  Porting to C++ would
> definitely be a huge task.
Well, the nice thing with C++ is that you can plug it directly to python
using swig and hand-coded wrapping code. It is actually one reason why I
want to go on python: wrapping C code for matlab is awful (there is no
way to control the memory handler, for example), and things like swig or
python::boost are much better (without even taking into account that C
and python have the same convention for indexing and row major
ordering). As the code is BSD, I think the licenses are compatible with
scipy. I think in a summer internship, you could write good swig or
boost::python extension to have the wrapping mostly automated.

Porting from matlab to scipy involve porting/testing all the code,
whereas using C++ code involve mostly glue-code. But maybe I am
underestimating the difficulty...

David