[SciPy-user] array vs matrix, converting code from matlab

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 01:31:06 EDT 2006

On 4/21/06, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Robert Kern wrote:
> >
> > Also, both of you might want to take a look at this page and its links:
> >
> >   http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users
> >

> I think the page lacks some key points, at least concerning these rank
> issues, where numpy and matlab are quite different (for example, nowhere
> it is said that slicing gives an array whose rank is different than the
> original array). Once I am sure to get my head around the whole issue, I
> will try to complete it accordingly.

That would be great.
Despite the fact that there's a column for 'array' there, most of the page
was written with the assumption that you're using matlab for linear algebra,
and so will be doing most everything with 'matrix', not 'array'.  Slicing a
2-index matrix always returns another 2-index matrix.  But you have a very
good point when it comes to 'array's.

--bb