[SciPy-user] SciPy with gcc4 and gfortran on OS X

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Sat Apr 8 15:10:38 EDT 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Robert Kern wrote:

> Pearu Peterson wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Zachary Pincus wrote:
>>> Finally, I would note that maybe the patched setup.py files should only turn
>>> off optimization for the mach files if gfortran is being used. (If this is
>>> something that can easily be done.)
>>
>> Nope. Actually mach files should be compiled without optimization for all
>> compilers. So the patched setup.py files are ok.
>
> My question is, does -O mean the same thing for all compilers?

Hmm, not sure. But I wouldn't count on it. For example, for gcc -O means
level 1 optimization, for intel compilers -O sets level 2 optimization.
I wonder, why this question is relevant for you?

Btw, now that I have compiled the whole scipy with gfortran, I get

ERROR: check_dot (scipy.lib.tests.test_blas.test_fblas1_simple)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/lib/blas/tests/test_blas.py",
line 76, in check_dot
     assert_almost_equal(f([3j,-4,3-4j],[2,3,1]),-9+2j)
SystemError: NULL result without error in PyObject_Call

ERROR: check_dot (scipy.linalg.tests.test_blas.test_fblas1_simple)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/linalg/tests/test_blas.py",
line 75, in check_dot
     assert_almost_equal(f([3j,-4,3-4j],[2,3,1]),-9+2j)
SystemError: NULL result without error in PyObject_Call

Ran 1510 tests in 6.353s

FAILED (errors=2)

So now I have something to track down..

Pearu