[SciPy-user] stats review: std/var and samplestd/samplevar

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 3 09:24:43 EDT 2006

Hi again folks,

> I think the original poster meant (N-1) some of the time when they
> said (1-N).

Yeah, sorry.

The take-home message is that scipy.stats uses "sample variance" to
mean "a variance denominated by N", when the rest of the world uses
"sample variance" to mean "an estimator of the population variance
denominated by N-1 or N", and scipy.stats uses "variance" to mean
"the unbiased estimator of population variance (denominated by N-1)",
which is not in general what "variance" means.

In both cases, these usages are not clear, and in the "sample" case,
it is directly contrary to established usage.

> why not simply have scipy.stats.var (and std) with an option for
> whether you want N or N-1?

How do people feel about this? The folks on the numpy list have
relatively strong feelings that when functions have a boolean flag
such as you're proposing, then that means that they really should be
two functions. I'm not really sure how strongly I feel about that.

Would it be OK to have scipy.stats.var have an boolean
'unbiased_estimator' or 'UnbiasedEstimator' flag?

I'm rather not sure that scipy.stats.std ought to have such a flag,
given the caveats (e.g. that there is no general unbiased estimator),
but if that's what people want...

Zach