[SciPy-user] 3d plotting question

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Thu Sep 29 10:14:10 EDT 2005

    Christian> Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
    >> If that works, you are ready to play with mlab.py which is
    >> inside enthought/tvtk/tools/mlab.py.  You can run the file as
    >> it is, to see a spherical harmonic on screen.  See the source
    >> for some nice examples.
    >>
    >> If you have come this far, I hope you are rewarded by all the
    >> new tools you can play with. :)

    Christian> Wow!!! That was easy. I'm very impressed. Only the ivtk
    Christian> example isn't working.  I'm using vtk python 4.2.6. The
    Christian> traceback follows:

Terrific!  VTK-4.4 is worth upgrading to if possible.  In any case, I
forgot that you can also run all the tests in tvtk/tests to make sure
the core functionality works.  I do the following:

 $ cd tvtk/tests
 $ for i in *.py; do echo $i; python $i; done

[...]
    Christian> "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/vtk_python/vtk/wx/wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py",
    Christian> line 339, in Render
    Christian>     self._Iren.GetRenderWindow().SetNextWindowInfo(str(self.GetHandle()))

If you are willing to do a little bit of surgery, just replace that
file (wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py), with the latest from here:

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Wrapping/Python/vtk/wx/wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py?rev=1.17&view=log

Then it should hopefully work provided you have wxPython-2.6.x.

Good luck and please let us know how this goes.

cheers,
prabhu