[SciPy-user] good python books

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Nov 21 16:41:07 EST 2005

In article
<c5b438120511172027vd8e949fye182c8442eaca183 at mail.gmail.com>,
 Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> My parents are asking for Christmas gift ideas.  Can anyone recommend
> python books that are worth owning - especially technical/scientific
> ones or advanced ones.

Python Cookbook, 2nd edition is really nice. It ranges from basic to
advanced and I've learned a lot from it.

For daily reference I use Python Essential Reference (unfortunately not
very up to date) and the on-line manuals. For certain advanced topics I
look at Python in a Nutshell.

Also, consider books on design patterns and object-oriented design. I'm
not familiar with the range of material available, but in the second
category I've been enjoying "Applying UML and Patterns", by Craig Larman.

-- Russell