[SciPy-user] transcendental root finding

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:34:06 EST 2005

Does anyone out there have a robust algorithm for finding all of the
roots of a transcendental equation within a certain range of the
independent variable.  I wrote one myself that takes a vector of
guesses that are used in optimize.newton.  I am trying to use this
algoritm as part of a root locus finding tool.  Each initial guess
would represent a branch of the locus and I was hoping to stay on the
branch as a gain is slowly increased.  For at least one of my branches
this isn't going very well and newton converges to another nearby
solution on some occassions.

Any thoughts?

Ryan