[SciPy-user] Re: [SciPy-dev] Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Mar 9 16:50:12 EST 2005

Colin J. Williams wrote:

> Stephen Walton wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I find CPAN counter-intuitive, hard
>> to use, and hard to keep track of in an RPM-based environment.
>
> Debian has a nice package management system with a GUI (aptitude) to
> go on top of the basic apt.  This keeps track of  and enforces pakage
> dependencies.

So does yum, and CPAN itself for that matter, but that isn't really what
I was raising.  If I use cpan to install Perl::MyPackage::MyModule it
doesn't show up when I do 'rpm -qa'.  I can almost always say 'yum
install perl-MyPackage-MyModule' though with my repository collection.
Perhaps my main complaint is that the CPAN divisions are just too fine
grained.  Disk space is way cheaper than my time, and I'd rather get
everything I need in one go.