[SciPy-user] 2D Interpolation

Lowell Vaughn Lowell.Vaughn at enthought.com
Wed Jun 1 18:04:32 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to interpolate a variable over a plane.  I have a reasonably
small number of points (approx. 4 to 10) and I'm looking for a way to
interpolate these points over a region.  An ideal technique would:

    * Not have "wild" values away from points where I have data
    * Work well with small number of points (e.g., 4, I can handle 1-3
      points with other mechanisms)
    * Lead to continuous values (no strange jumps in the data if you
      plotted the interpolated values on a grid)
    * Honor all data points
    * Be fast
    * Already be in scipy :-)

I tried using bisplrep and bisplev from scipy.interpolate, but the
results were poor (wild values when away from control points).  This may
have been due to user error, but my impression was this wouldn't work
well with out lots of points.

Does anyone have any idea/pointers on this?

Thanks,
Lowell