[SciPy-user] 2D interpolation from a set of irregularly spaced positions in python?

Eric Emsellem emsellem at obs.univ-lyon1.fr
Tue Jul 19 10:35:51 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have a very simple problem which I am not able to solve with my
current knowledge of scipy/python/...

I have a set of positions X, Y, and intensities Z provided in 1D arrays.
The positions are NOT at all on a regular grid.

Now for a new position Xnew, Ynew I would like to get the *interpolated*
Znew value, and if possible trying different schemes such as "bilinear",
"cubic", etc... I also would like to know if my point is EXTRApolated or
not so I can decide what to do (either take the extrapolated value or
exclude it).

Any suggestion on this simple item?
Thanks in advance

Eric

Observatoire de Lyon                 emsellem at obs.univ-lyon1.fr
9 av. Charles-Andre                      tel: +33 4 78 86 83 84
69561 Saint-Genis Laval Cedex            fax: +33 4 78 86 83 86
France               http://www-obs.univ-lyon1.fr/eric.emsellem