[SciPy-user] Clarification

Joe Cooper joe at enthought.com
Sat Jul 16 21:28:10 EDT 2005

If it is any consolation, we all have trouble building and maintaining
VTK installations.  ;-)

Further consolation may be found in the knowledge that MayaVi and
MotPlotLib and all dependencies are included in all newer Enthought
Edition Python releases (like the current test release on the
website...not that I'm recommending you use that one, as it has some
pretty ugly warts), and Prabhu has been very helpful in making sure we
include all of the right bits so that MayaVi and VTK work correctly out
of the box.  I will post a new Enthought Edition official release with
the latest MayaVi release and VTK 4.4 next week sometime--it reverts a
lot of components back to the older versions found in the 1057 build,
due to incompatibilities and instabilities and other bad things, but the
plotting stuff is reasonably cutting edge.  These things take time,
because we have competing pressures for extreme stability of both
software and interfaces on one side and for rapid inclusion of the
latest versions of everything on the other.  The bundle is just so
bloody huge, it's a crap shoot to upgrade even a single element.  There
seems to finally be some movement within the python community for easier
to install and update software bundles, ala CPAN for Perl, such that it
may soon be easy for folks to safely upgrade some components
individually.  That will be nice.