[SciPy-user] Building Scipy on Dell 64bit Xeon

Nicolas Pernetty nicopernetty at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 12 14:46:03 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:07:10 -0700 (PDT), David Noriega
<neruocomp at yahoo.com> wrote :

> Hello, I've been put in charge of setting up a Dell
> 64bit Xeon workstation and on the side I've been tring
> to get scipy to install, but I haven't had any luck.
> I compiled LAPACK, BLAS, and ATLAS sucsesfuly and
> scipy finds them.  Its when I try to build scipy that
> I get problems.  I try just plain "./setup.py build"
> and I get these errors:

Hello,

> /usr/bin/ld:
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.2.3/libg2c.a(s_stop.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can
> not be used when making a shared object; recompile
> with -fPIC

It seems that your gcc installation is somewhat messed up (libg2c hasn't
been compiled with -fPIC)
IMHO, best you can do to see if it's the problem is to compile your own
gcc (try 3.4.3 instead of 4.0.0 which seems a little buggy). Don't be
afraid : it's not that hard.

Regards,