[SciPy-user] derivative

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Feb 23 12:34:13 EST 2005

Numerical derivatives are limited in accuracy by their very nature.  I
don't know very much about Pade computations, I'm afraid,  But, if the
code you need the derivative of is in C or Fortran, you might try one of
the automatic differentation codes out there.  The basic idea is that,
since any computation on a real computer is composed of elementary
operations with analytic derivatives, repeated automatic application of
the chain rule results in a derivative which is accurate to machine
precision.  Of course, these codes will only produce a first or second
derivative in my experience, not a sixth.  Do you need sixth derivatives?