[SciPy-user] WinXP python 2.4.2 upgrade: scipy build fails

Gary pajer at iname.com
Tue Dec 27 10:11:10 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>

>>I'm upgrading from python 2.3 to 2.4.2.
>>
>>I refreshed my svn's, deleted the previous build directories.
>>
>>scipy_core installed fine.
>>

>Let's emphasize this part lest people confuse full scipy install
>difficulties with sicpy_core install difficulties :-)
>

>>scipy fails.  What did I do wrong?
>>(one thing: I didn't try the latest scipy with the old python before
>>changing both at the same time  :)    )
>>

>That shouldn't matter.
>
>What BLAS libraries are you using for scipy.  It looks like scipy is not
>finding your blas and/or lapack libraries.  SciPy core can use them but
>does not require them.   Full SciPy, however, requires them.
>
>-Travis

Thanks for you patience.  Everything works this morning after starting
from scratch.
By now, with your gentle prodding, I should know better.

The only thing I can think of was that I must have had a typo in my
ATLAS environment variable.  I set it by hand in the command window each
time I recompile.  The reason I do it that way is that I need ATLAS
*only* when compiling scipy, so I define it only when needed, rather
than have it cluttering up the space.  Obviously, there is danger of
making a mistake this way.  But I did learn something:  atlas is not
needed for scipy_core.  If I had figured that out, I would have figured
out my problem.

sorry about the noise,
-gary