[SciPy-user] Python program failure caused by fastumath *FIXED*

R. Padraic Springuel rspringuel at smcvt.edu
Sun Apr 24 16:12:42 EDT 2005

When attempting to evaluate certain functions for which the expected
range of the function is complex, fastumath (what scipy uses to define
these universal functions) causes a program fatal error in python (at
least under Windows XP, which I run).  After some experimenting with the
problem, I have come up with a work around solution.  By rewriting the
wrapper functions in scimath (found in the scipy_base folder) so that
these functions use Numeric's umath functions instead, the functions
work as expected (including the automatic domain change that the wrapper
functions in scimath were originally intended for).  The only remaining
bug is that the fix requires importing Numeric before importing scipy.
Any help with this last bug would be appreciated, as I cannot determine
why this makes a difference.

My rewritten version of scimath can be downloaded from the following
address:
http://www.umit.maine.edu/~r.springuel/000CCFE8-80000018/

Note: In addition to the above described fix, my rewritten scimath also
contains definitions for several trig functions and hyperbolic trig
functions which were not previously defined by either numeric or scipy.
These functions are also handled appropriately under the above fix where
necessary with the following exceptions: arcsec(0), arccsc(0), &
arccoth(0), which still return math domain errors (again, suggestions on
how to handle these special cases is appreciated).

--

R. Padraic Springuel