[SciPy-user] Interpolation

Tim Gray tgray at princeton.edu
Thu Apr 21 20:14:56 EDT 2005

Hi, I've got a question for everyone.  I'm trying to some code from IDL that uses the interpolate function.  Basically I've got a big 2d array of data with time as one index and radius on the other index.  Each value in the array is "data".  I basically need to interpolate this data to other radii.

Here's what IDL's interpolate does (to 2d arrays).  It takes an array such as:
x =[[ 0, 1, 2, 3,]
    [ 4, 5, 6, 7,]
    [ 8, 9,10,11,]
    [12,13,14,15,]]

and given two vectors which define the desired indices to interpolate the data to, it spits out a new array.  So for an input of:
interpolate(x,[.5,1.5,2.5],[.5,1.5,2.5]), you get a 3x3 array of:
[[ 2.5,    3,  4.5]
 [ 6.5,  7.5,  8.5]
 [10.5, 11.5, 12.5]]

I'm sure something like this is in Scipy already, I'm just having problems finding it.  Any suggestions?

Tim