[SciPy-user] Re[2]: ANN: Veusz 0.5 - a scientific plotting package

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 19 04:39:13 EDT 2005

Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> Of course all of this discussion is moot if Jeremy does not wish to
>> offer his code under a freer license even if he feels that he is
>> allowed to.
>

> The reason I used the GPL was that PyQt was GPLd, and I interpreted the
> GPL as implying that my code had to be GPLd. I didn't want to open
> myself to any potential legal problems.
>
> Maybe it would be possible to dual-licence the code if anyone would like
> to use it??

Depending on how you and Trolltech and Riverbank Computing interpret the
situation, the Qt-specific parts can probably only be considered GPLed.
For users of the GPLed versions of PyQt, this shouldn't pose a problem
as their code would have deal with the GPL license of PyQt regardless.
Users of the non-GPL versions would be in a bind. I believe that
Trolltech discourages developing code using the GPL version, then buying
a license and selling programs. I don't know how they like releasing
open source, GPL-compatible, but non-GPL, Qt-specific code. I don't
think they're likely to answer that question publically, either.

Code that is not Qt-specific, however, can be licensed under whatever
license you like when separate from Qt. It might be easiest just handle
this on a case-by-case basis when people want to use non-Qt pieces of
code. Hopefully, there will only be a handful of groups working on
plotting packages.  ;-)

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu