[SciPy-user] ANN: Veusz 0.5 - a scientific plotting package

steve schmerler elcorto at gmx.net
Mon Apr 18 05:33:42 EDT 2005

Alan, sure it's not very healthy to invent the wheel over and over again but isn't it good to see that there are people
willing to work on new free software? I totally understand your point of joining efforts and concentrate on promising
projects but it's a fact that good software will survive and bad won't, yet the decision is made on the users side and
by use or disuse. I think no one has the right to advice people to join the one or the other project. I really would
like to have _the_ computing envoronment, _the_ language and _the_ plotting package but the point is that many people
not working in the same direction is what keeps the whole thing dynamic and innovative.

Cheers,
Steve

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Jeremy Sanders apparently wrote:
>
>>http://home.gna.org/veusz/
>

>>Veusz is a scientific plotting package written in Python
>>(currently 100% Python). It uses PyQt for display and
>>user-interfaces, and numarray for handling the numeric
>>data. Veusz is designed to produce publication-ready
>>Postscript output.
>

>>Veusz provides a GUI, command line and scripting interface (based on
>>Python) to its plotting facilities. The plots are built using an
>>object-based system to provide a consistent interface.
>

> Let me provide a sample "user's perspective".
>
> 1. Since this is posted to the SciPy list, I assume the
>    author is aware that many people on this list are using
>    Matplotlib, which is excellent.  Others I take it are
>    using Chaco. Others are using Gnuplot.py.
> 2. Yet there is no direct comparison with these other
>    packages.  I have to guess that the key point is the GUI
>    interface, whose facilities are not described in detail.
> 3. I'm generally willing to try out new software if
>    I understand well enough that it has cool new potential,
>    but from this posting I do not.
> 4. Perhaps most importantly: there are two very serious
>    projects being discussed regularly on this list (mostly
>    Matplotlib but also Chaco).  So naturally I wonder if the
>    author might not more fruitfully be finding a way to
>    collaborate with these.  Not that it is really any of my
>    business of course, but as I said I am just providing
>    a sample "user's perspective".
>
> Cheers,
> Alan Isaac

Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the only one that can be
mass produced with unskilled labor.  - Wernher von Braun