[SciPy-user] installing numeric, newbie

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 16 00:54:52 EDT 2004

>     Darren> cannot find -llapack collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>     Darren> error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
>
> Where exactly on your system is liblapack.* ?  You need to make sure
> it is in your library path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) or specify the directory
> with a -L flag, or put a symlink to it in /usr/lib.  Sometimes, but
> rarely, it can help to do a
>
>> sudo /sbin/ldconfig
>
> after installing a new library.

liblapack.a, libcblas.a,libatlas.a and libf77blas,a live in /usr/lib.
cblas.h and clapack.h are in /usr/include, and libg2c.a is in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4

I tried "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib" at the command line, and
/sbin/ldconfig. The right directories are being flagged -L during the
build, but the problem persists. Here is the relevent part of setup.py:

library_dirs_list = ['/usr/lib','/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4']
#fails when = ['/usr/lib'] too
libraries_list = ['liblapack', 'libcblas', 'libf77blas', 'libatlas',
'libg2c']

use_dotblas = 1
include_dirs = ['/usr/include']

Slightly off topic, LD_LIBRARY_PATH did not exist, should I add it to
/etc/profile?