***[Possible UCE]*** Re: [SciPy-user] odeint -- segmentation fault

Giovanni Samaey Giovanni.Samaey at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Sep 2 08:33:48 EDT 2004

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:

> I think I've fixed this problem.  The problem seems to be that lsoda
> (written in Fortran) made heavy use of common blocks which made it
> difficult to use in a re-entrant fashion (your dydt function itself
> calls odeint).

This is what I suspected to be the problem (the re-entrant use).  I am
really thankful for this fix; it helped me a lot.
Do you suspect that deeper recursions could cause problems? (Just
wondering, I don't need this for now.)

> ODEPACK provided a function to save and restore the common block which
> I  sprinkled throughout the original fortran code so that the
> functions called (and jacobians) could use odeint without ruining the
> needed common block for the rest of the algorithm.
>
> Your test script now works on my system and the fixes are in CVS.

Thank you.  The test script works here too now; and my "real" code works
too!
On question concerning the CVS version of scipy.  If I do regular
updates, do I have
to rebuild scipy completely, or does the build script take care of
checking what changed?
And can I break running code by updating regularly?

Best,

Giovanni