[SciPy-user] More problems with Sparse

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 27 03:16:12 EDT 2004

Nils Wagner wrote:
> Hi Travis,
>
> A few days ago I have reported on the following bug in sparse. (recent
> Bug tracker entries)
> It would be nice if this problem could be fixed.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Nils

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/sparse/Sparse.py", line
> 1326, in todense
>    new[ikey0,ikey1] = self[key]
> TypeError: can't convert complex to float; use abs(z)

It's difficult to determine beforehand if a matrix needs to be complex
or not. The default typecode for the dense array is 'd' (double
precision real). Use the typecode keyword argument to todense() to
choose something else.

E.g.

   A.todense(Complex)

I found this out in 30 seconds by looking at the source code.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter