[SciPy-user] scipy debian packages

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 20 07:29:06 EDT 2004

Arnd Baecker wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Robert Kern wrote:
>

>>Arnd Baecker wrote:
>>

>>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/xplt/slice3.py", line 1575,
>>>in _construct3
>>>    mask = find_mask (below, _node_edges3 [itype])
>>>TypeError: Array can not be safely cast to required type
>>
>>This is a problem with Numeric. Bug the maintainer of python-numeric to
>>update from the latest 23.5 tarball. The fix somehow didn't make it into
>>the first release of the 23.5 tarball but should be in the copy there now.
>

> Many thanks! Do you have a simple example demonstrating the problem
> in pure Numeric code?
> (this would make it simpler to illustrate/test the problem without
> referring to scipy and thus more convincing, IMHO).

It's an issue with the function arrayfns.find_mask(x, y) when
x.typecode() == UInt8 and y.typecode() == Int. With the function not
having any docstrings, I can't construct an example right now.

> Until that happens: is there a file which I could hand-edit
> in my installation (of course this would only work if it is on the .py
> level) to remove the problem for the moment?

This is untested, but it should work: just before the error I isolated
above, put the line

     below = below.astype(_node_edges3[itype].typecode())

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter