[SciPy-user] RPM building trouble

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Oct 5 14:07:26 EDT 2004

    >> I am not sure what we can do to fix the problem in this case.
    >> I don't really understand why changing the LANG environment
    >> should affect the functioning of Python.  So if someone has a
    >> suggestion please let the list know.

    FP> Wow.  This was also the source of my problems.  I'm learning
    FP> german, so I've switched my desktop to
[...]
    FP> Both the simpleFrame and the WxDemo examples run just fine,
    FP> and the errors I reported just a few minutes ago are gone.

Great!

    FP> Now, as to why in hell this should matter, I have no idea.
    FP> And I think it's bad: we can't exactly force users from all
    FP> over the world to reset their desktops to US English, can we ?

I suspect this is a Redhat-ism.  Maybe not but could be.  There are
reports of some users needing to do this to use Acrobat reader also.
Anyway, could you please just try replacing the string in
the wxPython_thread.py wrap_builtinfunction(func, call_holder)

 func_tmpl = """\...

with func_tmpl = r"""\..."""

That is make it a raw string and see if that helps?  Also, in the same
long string, change the
call_holder.call('call_holder.result=old_func(*args,**kws)') to use a
raw string.

This is a shot in the dark but the only one that makes any sense (to
my limited knowledge) to try.

cheers,
prabhu