[SciPy-user] linalg.eigenvalues

Tiziano Zito t.zito at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 29 07:55:55 EST 2004

> Hi,
>
> I encountered the following problem: When giving a symmetric matrix (so
> only real entries) to the function linalg.eig, then it can happen, that
> eigenvalues and eigenvectors are complex.

You may want to have a look at:
http://mdp-toolkit.sourceforge.net/symeig.html

The symeig module contains a Python wrapper for the LAPACK functions
to solve the standard and generalized eigenvalue problems for
symmetric (hermitian) positive definite matrices. Those specialized
algorithms give an important speed-up with repect to the generic
LAPACK eigenvalue problem solver used by SciPy (scipy.linalg.eig).

hth,
tiziano