[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Nov 24 15:28:25 EST 2004

Andrew Straw wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2004, at 9:39 AM, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> I'm gearing up to make binary packages for Scipy et al. for Mac OS X.
>> I hope that these might be considered collectively as
>> Enthought-Edition Python ("Enthon") for the Mac.
>>
>> So, Mac users, what do you want to see in Mac Enthon?
>

> This is great news!
>
>  From a purely selfish point of view (to help with installing my pet
> project, the Vision Egg), would you be willing to include pygame (and
> SDL, SDL_ttf2, libfreetype, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SMPEG) if I built it?

Sure. Why not?  :-)  I'm going to want to be able to build everything
myself, so all you have to do is figure out how to build it in an
acceptable way. pygame itself should be packaged up with Bob Ippolito's
bdist_mpkg:

http://svn.red-bean.com/bob/py2app/trunk

Do the standard 1.2.7 frameworks work? or do you have to compile more
things? I don't know if they include SMPEG in the frameworks.

http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.7.pkg.tar.gz

Packaging up pygame (and pygtk, too; you're not alone) is, I think,
going to be low on my list of priorities. Most of the packages on the
list are there because I have, sometimes extensive, experience with
building them and getting them to work; this way I can spend my efforts
on the packaging itself. I haven't built pygame in a while, and with its
dependencies, it is probably going to be more complicated than the other
packages.

> I would happily do so Saturday or Sunday this weekend -- I just want to
> make sure we get the same version of cross-dependencies.

MacEnthon won't be released next week, so don't waste your weekend if
you don't have to. There will probably be a few alpha releases, so you
should have plenty of time.

> If so, will
> Numeric be the 23.6 release?

I'm actually going to go with CVS since it has some post-23.6 changes
related to the Mac.

> Are you going to include freetype
> (2.1.9?), or should I build it? Should unix-like dependencies go in
> /usr/local/lib and so on?

Preferably, libraries should compile into frameworks. Hopefully, the
standard packages distributed by libsdl.org will suffice.

See the Wiki page for my current thoughts on how this is all going to work.

http://www.scipy.org/wikis/featurerequests/MacEnthon

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu