[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 23 17:54:19 EST 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Robert Kern schrieb:
>
>> I will not be turning Patented on. I posted instructions on how to
>> build VTK on the Mac to the PythonMac list. It's very straightforward
>> and hassle-free. I will point out the limitation, and include
>> instructions on how to build VTK with Patented for those individuals
>> who know they can legally use it.
>

> I understand the reasons for this, and it's definitely not a good idea
> for enthought to distribute a full enthon with patented stuff in.  But
> would it be possible to put a download link, besides enthon(with
> patented=off) to a single vtk(patented=on) package?  I ask this simply
> thinking of the "if it takes more than 3 minutes and 2 clicks I won't
> install it" problem we've discussed before.
>
> This would allow users who know they are OK with patented stuff to
> simply grab both packages and then overwrite the default VTK with
> VTK_patented after installing Enthon.

I'm definitely thinking that individual packages will be available to
install semi-independently of everything else. The issue with VTK
Patented is whether or not to provide an alternate VTK Patented package.

> There are two possible issues with this:
>
> 1. it may be too much additional work for you.
>
> 2. it may still be a source of legal concerns.  I would imagine that
> since you'd only be distributing a compiled package, with a clear
> disclaimer that its _usage_ must be done only with knowledge of the
> patent issues, it might be OK.  But in the land of
> competition-by-lawyers, one can never know...

I think that if someone won't install VTK Patented because "it takes
more than 3 minutes and 2 clicks", they don't need VTK Patented or won't
take the time to decide whether or not they have the right to use it.

If they had a license statement for non-commercial users (and hopefully
some statement about whether or not academic or governmental research
counts as non-commercial application) that I could have users read
before installing, I'd be more amenable to including a VTK Patented
package. Unfortunately, the only statements they have are like the
following:

   """Application of this software for commercial purposes requires
      a license grant from GE."""

My concern is not that myself or Enthought will be sued for
*distributing* VTK Patented; that's covered by copyright law, and the
copyright license permits redistribution.

I'm much more concerned about people developing applications that depend
on the patented algorithms when they really shouldn't have without a
license. (Note: I don't really have any moral indignation about the
issue, I'm just not personally interested in enabling people to be
careless about IP.)

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu