[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 23 17:31:48 EST 2004

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2004, at 9:39 AM, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> What packages would you like to see? My current list:
>>
>> wxPython - latest developement version
>

> If I remember correctly, there was enough API shift in wxPython that
> programs which ran under wxPython 2.4.1.2 (included with the current
> Enthought) broke when run under the latest development version.
>
> My memory is foggy on what it was, but I ran into it pretty quickly.  I
> think it was something about event callbacks.

wxWidgets 2.4 is simply too broken on the Mac platform and all effort to
make wxWidgets viable on the Mac is being given to 2.5. FWIW, many of
the packages that only work with wxWidgets 2.4 on other platforms, won't
work at all on the Mac. I believe the latest wxPython 2.5 has added a
compatibility API, but I haven't tested it out, yet.

>> PyOpenGL - stable
>

> If you do this before PyOpenGL 2.0.2, you probably want the maint-2_0
> branch in CVS.

Thanks!

> I'm probably going to get pilloried for this, but how about pygtk and
> pygtkglext?  Is there a particular reason that these are excluded, or is
> it just that nobody has stepped forward to do the work?

Has anyone compiled these for the Mac outside of
Fink/Gentoo/DarwinPorts? With wxPython and Tkinter, someone else has
done the work to make installation of the underlying libraries easy
enough that I can package them up. As far as I know, no one has done so
for GTK+ and I'm not willing to do so.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu