[SciPy-user] How do I build scipy using standard BLAS/LAPACK

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Nov 23 04:44:35 EST 2004

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Nils Wagner wrote:
>
>>> What is the output of `python system_info.py blas_opt lapack_opt`?
>>

>> blas_opt_info:
>> FOUND:
>>   libraries = ['blas']
>>   library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
>>   define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 1)]
>>   language = f77
>

> So, scipy was not built against blas/lapack libraries in
> /home/nwagner/src/{blas,lapack} but was built against the ones from
> /usr/lib (and that probably require atlas libraries). Please, read again
> my previous messages and carefully apply the given instructions (soon
> I'll stop responding if there is no progress when there should be).
>
>>> Is `import scipy.linalg.flapack` succesful?
>>

>> No
>>
>> Python 2.3.3 (#1, Apr  6 2004, 01:47:39)
>> [GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>> ImportError: No module named flapack
>

> So, there must have some failures when building flapack extension module.
> Check the messages from scipy build process.
>
> Btw, why do you want to build scipy against Fortran BLAS/LAPACK in the
> first place? It is not needed if you only want to build symeig against
> Fortran BLAS/LAPACK.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of this fact.

> Pearu

Pearu,

I have set the environment variables according to your last e-mail.

/home/nwagner> echo $BLAS_SRC
/home/nwagner/src/blas
/home/nwagner> echo $LAPACK_SRC
/home/nwagner/src/lapack
/home/nwagner> echo $ATLAS
None

However, the libraries libblas.a and liblapack.a already available in /usr/lib are used instead of FORTRAN BLAS/LAPACK. How can I circumvent this ?

Nils