[SciPy-user] help and lazy importer (again or still ?)

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue May 11 09:05:03 EDT 2004

Hi Arnd,

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Arnd Baecker wrote:

> I checked out the CVS version and there seem to be
> some further issues (each starting with a fresh python
> session):
>
> Case 2
> ------
>
> help("scipy.integrateMISPELLED.odeint")
> help("scipy.integrate.odeint")
>
> gives
>
> Python 2.3.3 (#1, May  3 2004, 16:38:25)
> [GCC 3.3.3 (Debian)] on linux2
> /home/python/PYTHON_New/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/pilutil.pyc No
> module named PIL
> no Python documentation found for 'scipy.integrateMISPELLED.odeint'

> ppimport('scipy.integrate.odeint') caller locals:
> __name__=__main__
> No module named odeint
>
> and no further repetition of the call helps here ;-).

Fixed in CVS.

> Case 3
> ------
>
> from scipy.integrate import odeint
>
> def f(x):
>    """doc string for f(x)"""
>    return x*x

> [[gives the help on f and then, after returning from the pager: ]]
> /home/python/PYTHON_New/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/plt/interface.pyc
> No module named wxPython
> /home/python/PYTHON_New/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/plt/__init__.pyc
> No module named wxPython
>
> >From a user perspective I would not have thought to see this here ;-)

I wouldn't disable these messages yet as they are informative for users
who try to use scipy.plt module (that will not work without wxPython) as
well as they appear only once. Maybe these messages should appear as
warnings, though, then one can disable them using python warnings system..

> Sorry for being a pain here, but maybe you (again) have a solution for
> the above points.

No problem at all. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Keep sending
bug reports also in future;-)

There is also Scipy bugtracker, http://www.scipy.org/bugtracker, that
might be the place to save bugreports. Unfortunately, from the developers
point of view, it is pain to use the current Roundup: almost all issues
that I have fixed there and set 'resolved', have appeared as 'chatting'
again after few days, either because of some bug in Roundup itself or
because of some 'anonymous' user who cannot stand 'resolved' issues:(
Hopefully 'anonymous' users will be disabled in Roundup someday..

Thanks,
Pearu