[SciPy-user] "undefined reference to `MAIN__'" while building

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Tue Jul 20 16:27:06 EDT 2004

Hi all, I'm having some trouble building scipy.

I'm using lapack and blas (no atlas), and so I've set BLAS_SRC and
LAPACK_SRC. It seems to build those fine. Eventually it tries to link,
and I get a couple errors. The first is that it doesn't include the
'-lpython2.3' flag on the link command line, so I get a bunch of errors
about Py_* functions being undefined. This is easily fixable by
changing

python setup.py build build_ext
python setup.py build build_ext -lpython2.3

but it seems odd that distutils didn't detect this automagically.
Anyway...

The main problem now is that I'm getting undefined references to a
'MAIN__' function. Above that, I get some other non-fatal errors to the
effect of:

SciPy_complete-0.3/Lib/cluster/tests/__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)

I've posted a complete script(1) at:

http://apollo.sr.unh.edu/~tfogal/scipy/scipy-build-with-lpython2.3

It is shortened because I've already built most of scipy, I just ran
through building it again to capture the output. If the actual
compilation is important, I could post another log building from
nothing...

Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to get this built?

Thanks,

-tom