[SciPy-user] Making faster statistical distributions

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Thu Jan 29 14:17:21 EST 2004

Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:

> I am already using pieces of SciPy in my Markov chain Monte Carlo
> package (PyMC), mostly for plotting functionality. I would also like
> to exploit the distributions implemented in scipy.stats, but they are
> far too slow for use in statistical simulation applications like MCMC,
> where millions of random draws may be taken. Therefore, I am thinking
> of implementing many of these distributions (at least the common ones)
> as C or Fortran extensions. I am unsure whether to use Fortran through
> f2py for this task, or C through weave.inline (for example). I have
> used both in the past for various tasks, and was generally happy with
> both. Any suggestions?

Could you specify which ones are too slow?  This is a rather broad
statement as many are implemented in C and are very fast.   Some
distributions, however,  do default to using a numerical solver to
invert the cdf and apply this to uniform random variates.  You can
improve the speed of these distributions by overriding the _ppf  method
or the _rvs method of the object to use a faster, more specialized
method.   I would use weave or fortran with f2py to do this.

Best,

-Travis O.