[SciPy-user] distutils problem on cvs install under python 2.3

Christopher Fonnesbeck chris at fonnesbeck.org
Mon Feb 23 12:37:12 EST 2004

On Feb 4, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:
>
>> When I attempt a build of the latest cvs on a clean Debian Linux
>> install of python2.3, I get this old error message:
>>
>> chris at redhead:/usr/src/scipy$ python setup.py build
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "setup.py", line 25, in ?
>>      from scipy_distutils.core import setup
>>    File "scipy_core/scipy_distutils/core.py", line 1, in ?
>>      from distutils.core import *
>> ImportError: No module named distutils.core
>
> Could you verify that adding `import distutils` before the line #1
> fixes this import error?
>
>> I thought this bug in distutils was squashed long ago. Am I missing
>> something here?
>
> Strange, I am on debian too with Python 2.3.3 and I don't get this
> error.
> Btw, do you have write permissions to
> /usr/src/scipy/scipy_core/scipy_distutils directory? I noticed that
> the traceback comes from .py file and not from .pyc file.

I have tried reinstalling python2.3 on Debian, but when I try and
import distutils, it tells me that there is no model named distutils!
It seems that the current testing/stable distributions of python2.3 are
broken.

C.

--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck ( c h r i s @ f o n n e s b e c k . o r g )
Georgia Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit, University of Georgia