[SciPy-user] gplt and xplt

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 13 16:21:33 EDT 2004

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Stephen Walton apparently wrote:
>
>>If you want to do anything with Python, you
>>owe it to yourself to try ipython.  Perhaps it is the fervor of the
>>recently converted, but I'm a big fan of it.
>

> OK.
> I use Windows 2000.
> I installed ctypes.

Which version?  There's a notice at http://ipython.scipy.org about a problem
with 0.9 & unc-readline, which is the current one.

This is unfortunate, but beyond my control.  The unc-readline author is
working on it, but for now the only solution is to backpedal to ctypes 0.6.

> I installed readline.

Which one?  The unc-readline, from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncpythontools

is the only one that works correctly.  The one here:

http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html

is terminally broken, don't use it.  It's not a real readline, it misses
critical parts of the api.

> I installed IPython.
>
> IPython failes with a call to readline.set_completer:
> AttributeError: module has no attribute set_completer
>
> Any ideas?

I hope this helps, let me know if you need more assistance.

Unfortunately things under Windows are always harder than with posix systems,
due to the brokenness of many of the necessary underlying subsystems.  The
fact that I can't test it because I don't have access to a computer running
windows anywhere doesn't help.  But with user's help (like Gary Bishop, the
uncreadline author), ipython under Win32 has actually made a lot of progress.

Best,