[SciPy-user] Re: xplt documentation

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 30 07:37:17 EDT 2004

    >> The problem with plt and xplt is that they don't leave happily
    >> with IDLE, which is my favorite (I have experience with with
    >> pycrust and Ipython). Is there any workaround or this is a
    >> fundamental issue of Tkinter?

    Arnd> I don't know - maybe there is a way to do this (maybe you
    Arnd> will find something under `gui_thread` or in the context of
    Arnd> matplotlib, http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/ where the use
    Arnd> of plotting packages from the interactive prompt is
    Arnd> discussed (though I don't remember that IDLE was mentioned
    Arnd> there)

With the Tkinter backend, we have some luck if idle is launched with
-n.  There is some discussion of IDE/Tkinter (at least TkAgg)
compatibility at
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/backends.html#TkAgg.  The issue of
GUI conflicts and interactive use is discussed more generally at
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/interactive.html.

On http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter, the effbot talks a little
bit about tkinter gui conflicts.

JDH