[SciPy-user] Instructions for installing SciPy on OSX

Christopher Fonnesbeck chris at fonnesbeck.org
Mon Apr 26 10:12:22 EDT 2004

Janet,

I have a couple of corrections for the OSX install instructions for
SciPy, based on feedback from users. I would make these changes myself,
but I do not seem to have edit permissions for the file now that it is
published. If you would like me to make the changes (I'd be happy to),
I would need the status of the file changes, otherwise here are the
corrections:

1.  In the MacPython section:

Change "Jack Jensesn's" to "Jack Jansen's"

2.  In the Gnuplot and Aquaterm section:

Change the fourth bullet to:

	Copy include files using the command: cp -rf ./include
/usr/local/include/aquaterm

3. In the Building SciPy section:

The first paragraph should be (using structured text):

You may install SciPy either by checking them out from the CVS
repository (see "CVS documentation":http://www.scipy.org/cvs/ ) or from
a source archive file (see "Downloads":http://www.scipy.org/download/
). IF you chose the latter, you must make a minor change to the
setup.py file before installing. Open setup.py in a text editor and
change::

        ignore_packages = [
        # 'sparse',
        # 'kiva','freetype','chaco','traits',
         ]

to::

	ignore_packages = [
         'sparse',
         'kiva','freetype','chaco','traits',
         ]

That is, simply remove the comment characters from these lines. You can
then start the build process in the SciPy source directory as follows:

etc.

Thanks,
Chris