[SciPy-user] Scipy's orth is more reliable

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Sep 19 09:44:24 EDT 2003

Arnd Baecker schrieb:

> just out of curiosity - what to you mean by "more reliable"?
> And to quote you
>   "A small example would be appreciated."
> (sorry, I could not resist ;-)
>
> Arnd

This is somehow lengthy to explain, but I will try.
I have computed a spectral projector for a defective matrix.A
where the Jordan curve \Gamma is a circle for simplicity.
The circle encloses the double eigenvalue, which is defective.
Then I have orthonormalized the projector.
The associated invariant subspace displays the geometric multiplicity
of the eigenvalue.
If I apply scipy's orth functions, I am able to show the defective
nature of that eigenvalue.
However with MLab's orth function, the result is polluted by rounding
errors or whatever.

Nils