[SciPy-user] Installation on Mac OSX, again

Andrew Straw andrew.straw at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Sep 9 23:18:39 EDT 2003

I think Bob Ippolito may be working on a MacPython-2.3 Package Manager
release which uses Apple's vecLib, so let's keep our fingers crossed...
  (I suppose one might accelerate this process by hiring him.  He's
definitely a whiz at getting stuff to work on OS X.)

In the meantime, I exist quite happily by grabbing ATLAS from fink, but
using the "official" MacPython-2.3 from Jack Jansen and compiling scipy
(and other python modules not available through Package Manager) from
CVS sources.  I posted some stuff to this list about a few tweaks to
scipy's build system -- I think site.cfg or something.

Other details:

g77 3.1 doesn't like the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.2.

shuksan ~$ g77 -v
Reading specs from /sw/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-apple-darwin6.6/3.1/specs
Configured with: ../gcc3/configure --prefix=/sw --enable-languages=f77
- --infodir=${prefix}/share/info
Thread model: single
Apple Computer, Inc. GCC version 1151, based on gcc version 3.1
20020420 (prerelease)
shuksan ~$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1435)

Good luck!
Andrew