[SciPy-user] IPython completion

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 8 18:16:26 EDT 2003

Jeffery D. Collins wrote:
> Filename completion for IPython does not work for me under Python-2.3,
> but does for Python-2.2.  That is, typing a <tab> does nothing.  It
> seems to work fine for everything else.
>
> Startup dialog:
>
> Python 2.3 (#11, Sep  5 2003, 13:12:43)
>
> IPython 0.4.0 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
> @magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' @ functions.
> help    -> Python's own help system.
> object? -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

Mmh, I just tested 2.3 with ipython 0.5.0, and tab works fine for me.  I did
fix a few 2.3-related warnings, but I can't see how this might be related to
readline.

Can you test 'import readline' in a normal (non-ipython) python shell?  I want
to know if your readline support is indeed correct.

BTW, you might want to upgrade to 0.5.0, as a nasty generator (potentially
dangerous side-effects) bug was fixed recently.

Cheers,