[SciPy-user] Newbie Q on array indexing

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Fri Oct 24 03:13:29 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Lance Boyle wrote:

> I find the Python restriction that array indexing must start with 0 to
> be not only unnatural and awkward when such indexing doesn't match the
> problem at hand, but also an excellent way to generate errors in my
> code. With all due apologies, this seems like a bad (and unnecessary)
> language design, since I have a Pascal and Ada background.

Since my mother tongue is Estonian and my English is not so good, then it
does not mean that English is "bad and unnecessary" (and all English
speaking persons should learn Estonian, which is not so bad
idea from my point of view;-).

> My question is--does SciPy or any other Python package provide a way
> around this limitation? Is there a work-around that doesn't cause a
> major slowdown in execution speed? Does using a dictionary make sense?

Please, google comp.lang.python for "zero indexing". It gives plenty of
reasons why indexing from 0 is good or bad; and also gives hints for
workarounds on the subject.

I don't think that it is reasonable for SciPy to start supporting indexing
from any number than zero. It's waste of time and resources, IMHO.

Regards,
	Pearu