[SciPy-user] Matlab, NASTRAN, CDF :)

Louis Cordier lcordier at dsp.sun.ac.za
Wed Oct 15 08:33:23 EDT 2003

> Fernando Perez schrieb:
> >
> > Andrew Straw wrote:
> >
> > > Cool!  I hadn't seen that before, and it seems to work on the simple
> > > test case I tried.  I made a setup script rather than fiddling with the
> > > Makefile.  This seems like a useful enough utility that it should get
> > > wider exposure.  Too bad it can't be incorporated into scipy as is (GPL
> > > vs. BSD license issues...).
> >
> > Mmh, not necessarily.  Perhaps the author would be amenable to a license
> > change for inclusion in scipy?  It wouldn't hurt to ask nicely, the worst that
> > happens is that he says no.
> >
> > Since there seem to be a lot of matlab users out there (I'm not one of them),
> > this may be worth pursuing by some.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > f.
> >

> Fernando,
>
> Did you ask the author --> http://ion.le.ac.uk/admin/nigel.html already
> ?
>
> It would be great to have this feature in scipy.
>
> I am also interested in an interface to NASTRAN files - there is some
> progress
> in this direction by Jose Fonseca
>
> http://jrfonseca.dyndns.org/work/phd/
>
> Nils

Why don't the powers that be just implement
"Common Data Format" in SciPy ?

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cdf/cdf_home.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sci-data-formats/

>From the FAQ
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cdf/html/FAQ.html

It seems Matlab supports CDF

---8<-----------------------------------

26. Is there any commercial or public domain data analysis/visualization
       software that accepts/supports CDF files?

    Commercial software:
        Interactive Data Language (IDL)
        MathWorks MATLAB Language (MATLAB)
        Application Visualization System (AVS)
        IBM Visualization Data Explorer (DX)
        Weisang GmbH & Co. KG Data Analysis and Presentation (FlexPro)

27. Are there any conversion programs available that will convert non-CDF
files into CDF files or vice versa?

Then one simply have to pull an effort on CDF2* convertion
programs. Instead of SciPy supporting a lot of different
file formats that is constantly evolving and growing...

A possible starting point would be:
http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~jsy1001/mfit/

Regars, Louis.