[SciPy-user] doctest fortran I/O synchronization

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Fri Oct 10 10:17:54 EDT 2003

I'm trying to make a doctest to verify that the different flow patterns
of f2py interfaces work with different varieties of numarrays (normal,
byte-swapped, misaligned, dis-contiguous, type-converted).  I'm trying
to test this out under Linux with g77, and (it seems like) I'm having
trouble synchronizing the Fortran I/O with Python's C I/O.

Given foo.f:

      subroutine in_c(a,m,n)
      real*8 a(n,m)
Cf2py intent(in,c) a
Cf2py depend(a) ::  n=shape(a,0),  m=shape(a,1)
      do j=1,m
         do i=1,n
            write (6,1) a(i,j)
 1          format( $, 1F3.0, ', ')
         enddo
         print *,''
      enddo
      end

And given f2py_tests.py:

"""
>>> foo.in_f(a)
 0.,  5., 10.,
 1.,  6., 11.,
 2.,  7., 12.,
 3.,  8., 13.,
 4.,  9., 14.,
"""
import foo, numarray

def test():
    import doctest
    global a
    t = doctest.Tester(globs=globals())
    a = numarray.arange(15., shape=(3,5))
    t.runstring(__doc__, "c_array")
    return t.summarize()

I get this:

[jmiller at halloween ~/f2py_tests]$ python f2py_tests.py
 0.,  5., 10.,
 1.,  6., 11.,
 2.,  7., 12.,
 3.,  8., 13.,
 4.,  9., 14.,
Failure in example: foo.in_f(a)
from line #1 of c_array
Expected:
 0.,  5., 10.,
 1.,  6., 11.,
 2.,  7., 12.,
 3.,  8., 13.,
 4.,  9., 14.,
Got:
1 items had failures:
   1 of   1 in c_array
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.

Where it appears that the output from the first example somehow escapes
the C I/O system I presume doctest is using.  The actual test I'm
writing has multiple examples, and the fortran I/O *does* make it into
the doctest after the first example  but remains out of sync.

Does anyone have an explanation and/or fix for this problem?

Todd Miller 			jmiller at stsci.edu
STSCI / ESS / SSB