[SciPy-user] inst. Suse8.1 - irfft error

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Tue Mar 18 11:59:23 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Arnd Baecker wrote:

> after the nrm2 issue is "resolved" I did a fresh checkout and install,
> this time with Numeric22.0.
>
> With scpipy.test(10) I get

> ERROR: bench_random (test_basic.test_irfft)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/home/baecker/PYTHON/lib/python2.2/site-packages/scipy/fftpack/tests/test_basic.py",
> line 410, in bench_random
>     print '|%8.2f' % self.measure('FFT_irfft(x1,size)',repeat),
>   File
> "/home/baecker/PYTHON/lib/python2.2/site-packages/scipy_test/testing.py",
> line 99, in measure
>     exec code in locs,globs
>   File "ScipyTestCase runner for test_irfft", line 1, in ?
>   File
> "/home/baecker/PYTHON/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric/FFT/FFT.py",
> line 151, in inverse_real_fft
>     _real_fft_cache) / n
>   File
> "/home/baecker/PYTHON/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric/FFT/FFT.py",
> line 36, in _raw_fft
>     wsave = init_function(n)
> TypeError: an integer is required
>
> Unless I messed up things, this problem occurs both with
> Numeric22.0 and Numeric23.0.

Can you use FFT from Numeric directly? Is FFT.inverse_real_fft working
properly?
If yes, could you determine what is the value of `n` that causes
TypeError?

> ((I cannot compare this with my debian installation
> as there I get for scipy.test(1)
> "[...]
> cc.bisect :    1.0000000000001952
> cc.ridder :    1.0000000000002143
> cc.brenth :    1.0000000000006635
> cc.brentq :    1.0000000000006601
>
> .zsh: 14281 segmentation fault  python
> "
>
> And I don't know where to look ...  any clues on this as well ?

Sometimes switching between Numeric versions may cause segmentation
faults. It seems that this is due to distutils that does not install
Numeric header files properly. So, check that Numeric header files
in <prefix>/include/python2.2/Numeric correspond to the ones of that
Numeric version that you are using.

Pearu