[SciPy-user] ipython => TeXmacs!

Fernando Perez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Thu Jan 30 20:55:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Kasper Souren wrote:

> > I would therefore like to hear from the scipy users/developers about
> > interest on this topic.  I honestly think that ipython provides some of the
> > most solid low-level interface of all the current python shells, but it's
> > text only.  I definitely can't do the work of writing a large graphical
> > layer above it, but I'd be more than happy to coordinate witha  larger team
> > for the necessary rewrites.
>
> Maybe you should check out TeXmacs. It's a really nice WYSIWYG TeX, it's
> GPL and it already has interfaces with some shells (Maxima, Pari, Scheme,
> Shell, Yacas and recently Octave).

Thanks for the feedback.  My main thrust would be something in coordination
with the scipy project as a whole.  They seem to have settled on wxwindows for
gui development and pycrust is part of wxwindows, so that might be the most
logical starting point.  But if there is not enough interest from the scipy
crowd, any other option is welcome.

However, as I said before, I don't intend to embark on a gui project myself.
For my needs, ipython + xemacs is basically perfect.  However, if there is
enough interest in a gui scientific pyhton shell,  I'd be glad to help along
with the internal redesign and I can probably write the 'plumbing' necessary
for ipython to plug into another external system.  But gui programming just
doesn't interest me very much, sorry.

Cheers,